The First Dance is an important part if any modern wedding reception, shared between newlyweds. It possibly dates all the way back to to the 17th century, when the hosts of a ball would open their event with a dance. After their dance, the floor would be officially open for the guests to take part in the festivities.
Needless to say, the first dance has evolved over the years. Now it is used as a visual display of a new couple's love for each other. Although not mandatory, the music chosen for this dance is usually of a ballad style, expressing undying love and/or a promise.
For many couples, it's not easy choosing a first dance song for the wedding reception. There are so many wonderful songs out there, old and new, that describe love in so many ways. We've put together a list of our favorites.
And Our Top 10 Are:
10. "This Must Be The Place" Talking Heads
9. You're Just too Good to be True - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
8. "You Got What I Need" Joshua Radin
7. I Get To Love You - Ruelle
6. "You & I" One Direction
5. "I Found You" Alabama Shakes
4. "Sugar" Maroon 5
3. "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" Micheal Buble
2. "Feel So Close" Calvin Harris
1. "La Vie En Rose" Louis Armstrong
Here are few other things to remember about your first dances:
- You can hire a band that plays first dance music
- Some bands will send you a recording to practice with
- Feel free to ask you band or DJ shorten the song (1:30-2:00 minutes)
- It doesn't have to be a ballad
We hope these helped your thought process! Whatever you choose, make sure its fun and enjoyable for you and your partner!